The health and well-being benefits of vanilla
Known above all for its incomparable flavour and subtle, travel-inducing aromas, vanilla is the fruit of a climbing orchid called the Vanilla plant, found mainly in Madagascar. Sambavanilla offers a source of authentic, top-quality vanilla, to help you discover all the richness of this precious plant.
There are more than 110 varieties of vanilla in the intertropical zone, but the most widely marketed and best-known are: Vanilla Planifolia, Vanilla Tahitensis and Vanilla Pompona. Each vanilla pod, depending on where it comes from, has a unique flavour that enhances your culinary preparations and awakens your senses.
Distribution of the different varieties of vanilla around the world
Did you know? Vanilla comes from different parts of the world, giving it specific aromatic characteristics. Vanilla from Mexico has a finer, more delicate flavour, while bourbon vanilla from Madagascar has a rich, intense aroma, much appreciated by food lovers.
As well as Mexico and Madagascar, other regions also produce vanillas renowned for their quality and distinctive flavour profile.
Tahitian vanilla: Native to Tahiti and the surrounding islands, Tahitian vanilla is distinguished by its floral fragrance and fruity notes. It is renowned for its subtlety and sweetness, adding an exotic touch to your culinary creations.
Comoros vanilla: The Comoros Islands in the Indian Ocean produce a vanilla renowned for its soft, sweet fragrance. It has notes of caramel and chocolate, adding a gourmet dimension to your desserts.
Reunion Island vanilla: Reunion Island, in the Indian Ocean, is famous for its high-quality vanilla. It is distinguished by its powerful aroma, balanced between floral and woody notes, offering an intense taste experience.
Papua New Guinea vanilla: Papua New Guinea vanillas are characterised by their rich, spicy fragrance. They offer notes of liquorice and chocolate, bringing a unique flavour to your culinary preparations.
Each region brings its own aromatic signature to vanilla, creating a diversity of choices for lovers of this precious spice. Mainly used in cooking to enhance desserts, pastries and perfumes, vanilla offers much more than its bewitching taste. In fact, this plant is overflowing with benefits for our health and well-being.
Vanilla has health benefits
Vanilla is much more than just a spice. As well as its delicate aroma and bewitching flavour, vanilla also has numerous benefits for health and well-being. Used for centuries for its therapeutic properties, vanilla is a natural treasure provided by nature.
Here are some of the benefits of vanilla :
1. Antioxidant properties: Vanilla is packed with antioxidants that help neutralise free radicals in the body. These free radicals are responsible for premature ageing and various health problems. Regular consumption of vanilla can therefore help boost your immune system, prevent chronic diseases and promote healthy ageing.
2. Natural antidepressant: Vanilla is a natural antidepressant that's already in your kitchen. It has active compounds that stimulate the production of serotonin, also known as the happy hormone. It can help improve mood, reduce anxiety and promote a feeling of well-being. Studies have shown that the scent of vanilla can reduce anxiety, calm the nerves and promote relaxation. Whether it's through the use of vanilla essential oils, scented candles or herbal teas, incorporating vanilla into your daily routine can help you find an emotional balance.
3. Natural aphrodisiac: For centuries, vanilla has been considered a powerful aphrodisiac. Its bewitching fragrance and aromatic compounds stimulate the senses and create an atmosphere conducive to romance and sensuality.
4. Improved digestion: Vanilla is renowned for its beneficial properties on digestion. It helps regulate the production of gastric juices, which contributes to better digestion of food. It can also help soothe digestive problems such as bloating and stomach pains.
5. Relaxing effect and fights insomnia: Vanilla has relaxing properties that help reduce stress and anxiety. It promotes a state of relaxation, which can help improve sleep quality and relieve insomnia.
6. Natural anti-ageing: Vanilla contains antioxidant compounds and nutrients that help slow down the skin's ageing process. It helps to regenerate, hydrate and nourish the epidermis, promoting younger, more radiant skin. What's more, vanilla has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can help soothe skin irritations and promote healthy skin. By using vanilla-based products, you can look after your skin and hair naturally.
7. Enhanced cognitive abilities: Vanilla's stimulating properties can help improve concentration, memory and cognitive functions. Studies have shown that vanilla flavour can promote mental clarity, reduce mental fatigue and improve cognitive performance. Adding vanilla to your diet or using it in personal care products can provide valuable support for brain function.
How much vanilla is good for your health?
When it comes to enjoying the health benefits of vanilla, the question that often arises is: how much vanilla should you eat to feel its beneficial effects? While the answer may vary from person to person, here are a few tips for incorporating vanilla into your diet in the best possible way.
• Use in the kitchen: When cooking, use natural vanilla rather than artificial flavourings. Vanilla beans are an excellent option for infusing preparations. You can scrape out the seeds inside the pod and add them to your recipes, or use the whole pod to flavour infusions, creams, sauces or desserts. The quantity will depend on the flavour you're looking for and the recipe, but generally speaking, one vanilla pod is enough to flavour a dish.
• Vanilla infusions: To enjoy the relaxing benefits of vanilla, you can prepare an infusion by boiling a vanilla pod in water for a few minutes. Then leave to infuse for around 10 minutes before drinking. This infusion can be drunk hot or cold, as you prefer.
• Vanilla powder: If you're looking for a convenient alternative to vanilla beans, you can use vanilla powder. It's made from dried and ground vanilla beans, offering an intense fragrance and flavour. It's easy to add a small amount of vanilla powder to your culinary preparations, such as desserts, smoothies, yoghurts or hot drinks, to enjoy its delicate flavour and health benefits.
By making vanilla part of your daily routine, whether in the kitchen or as an infusion, you can enjoy its benefits for your health and well-being.
Order your premium vanillas from Sambavanilla
In conclusion, there's more to vanilla than its delicious taste and intoxicating aroma. It also offers a multitude of benefits for our health and well-being. At Sambavanilla, we offer you the best premium vanillas and spices from Madagascar, carefully selected for their exceptional quality.
DDiscover the incredible variety of flavours of our vanillas and let yourself be seduced by the natural benefits they can bring to your daily life. Contact us or order now from our online shop and enjoy the authenticity and richness of Madagascar vanilla. Treat yourself to an unforgettable taste and sensory experience with Sambavanilla.